Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Growing Up Aspie

We had a Passover Seder at my parents' house last night, and my cousin and his wife came in from the other side of the state. My cousin is 46 years old and has Aspergers. He is so much like my nine year old in so many ways, and I feel really blessed to have him in our family - not just because he's one of the smartest, kindest people I know, but to have someone else with Aspergers in the family is really helpful. He's able to help us understand our son better, and - although our oldest son has no idea he has AS - he absolutely idolizes my cousin. Probably because he's the only person in the world who knows more about snakes than our little guy!

Anyway, my cousin made this statement last night that I have to immortalize here. He was telling us what it was like for him, growing up an Aspie in an affluent suburb of NYC.

"It was tough," he said. "Other kids were into sports and Star Wars.  I was into car washes."

See why I love him so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment